Grant Number: 91533
- Description: Continuing grant
- Associated Project:
- Award Date:
- Award Period: 2001-10-01 to 2004-09-30
- Amount: $ 600000.00
Digital Libraries & Archives
Statistics & Surveying
Project Home Page:
Latest Project Highlight:
Digital Government Research Center (DGRC): Bringing Complex Data to Users
In partnership with the Federal Energy Information Agency on the topic of trade data, Columbia University and the Information Sciences Institute of the University of Southern California will work in three areas of relevance to the Agency mission:
1. Main memory query processing, which provides extremely fast querying of multiple statistical data sets, an area of concern to all statistical agencies which must provide aggregated data which maintains the confidentiality of the citizens and businesses which contributed the data;
2. Multilingual question and answering, which will explore the possibility of providing automated translation and querying from English to Spanish and Chinese, and perhaps one other language. As the US population becomes increasingly multi-lingual, natural language processing as a service of gov't web sites will become more and more expected.
3. Usability testing of components developed in this and in another grant to this team under the Digital Government program.