Grant Number: 441216
- Description: Continuing grant
- Associated Project:
- Award Date:
- Award Period: 2004-09-15 to 2008-02-29
- Amount: $ 550000.00
National Academy of Sciences
Project Home Page:
Latest Project Highlight:
This grant will support a study by the Computer Science and Telecommunications Board (CSTB) of the National Academy of Science (NAS) that will examine policy and technical issues that arise with the large-scale government use of data mining and information fusion technologies for various national purposes, including, for example, counter-terrorism, law enforcement, public health, and Federal statistics. Of particular interest will be an examination of alternative approaches to both policy and technology that may help to ameliorate privacy risks. Working in collaboration with the Committee on National Statistics of NAS, CSTB will convene an interdisciplinary committee to blend technical and non-technical expertise, engaging both critics and proponents of data mining and information fusion technologies.
One or more workshops will be held early in the study process, both to inform the committee and to put useful material on the public record through publication of workshop proceedings. A final study report will be prepared featuring:
1. Alternative visions for how broad access to diverse government and non-government databases might be realized, including how access, privacy, and confidentiality could be achieved together;
2. An economic, legal, policy, social and technical issues roadmap; and
3. A set of recommendations.